Wednesday, July 2, 2008

American Girls!

We went to see the new American Girl movie, "Kit Kittredge" with friends today! Ten girls, two very accomodating little brothers, 9 American girl dolls, five mommies and lots of popcorn occupied the better part of two rows in the movie theatre this afternoon.


We are American Girl fans so I figured we'd like this movie-- but I have to say, even with our "AG bias", this is a really good movie! Very family friendly (a rarity in this day and age!) and it tells a nice story as well. It's both funny and sad (I won't mention who got the most teary-eyed in the group-- but I'll give you a hint-- it was the OLDEST of us!!).
I think the thing that really moved me the most was the dramatic portrayal of the Depression and difficult situations faced by those who lived through it. I've heard stories of my grandparents' experiences (one of my grandmother's lost her childhood home) and seen how it affected them later in life (my other grandmother always had an overflowing pantry so that she would never be without food), but for some reason, seeing these things portrayed in the movie made their experiences seem even more real to me. I realize once again how blessed I have been in my life to never wonder where my next meal will come from or have to wear clothes made out of chicken feed sacks.
So, all in all, I think we can safely give this movie a resounding 17 thumbs up (or at least 15-- I didn't actually get the little brothers' feedback-- but they lasted through the entire movie, so I'll take that as a positive sign!). A definite 'don't miss' summer movie!!

1 comment:

Sara said...

We loved it too...well at least the girls did. I got a "sort of, but I liked Kung Fu Panda better!" out of Caleb when I asked him if he liked it. :)