Saturday, September 28, 2013

Day 4: Washington DC Day 1

Our first stop today was an urgent care visit for Pawpaw... oh wait... let me back up... our ACTUAL first stop today was by the Park Police in Virginia.  Flashing lights and everything.  But that is a story for another day.  Suffice it to say all ended well :)  So... we were at the urgent care in Arlington... PawPaw was diagnosed with bronchitis and pink eye.  We loaded up on all manner of cough syrups, Airborne in multiple varieties (tablets, gummies, and lozenges!), and anti-bacterial wipes and cleaners.  He already seems to be feeling some better tonight so we are praying that he continues to improve and that the rest of us stay healthy!

We resumed our regularly scheduled touring after all the medical stuff and arrived at Arlington Cemetery around 11 am.  Visiting the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier (Yes, I'm from Jackson County and CAN spell "soldier" correctly! Inside joke.) was probably the highlight.  We were able to witness the changing of the guard as well as a wreath laying ceremony with a trumpeter playing "Taps".  It was very moving.


After Arlington, we had lunch in the RV (still parked in the Arlington Cemetery parking lot with grandparents inside resting/re-couping) and then headed out to cross the Potomac and visit some of the monuments.  It was a little bit of a hike but the weather was very comfortable and so we didn't mind the walk too much (although one of us was pushing for renting bikes on the return trip!).  Michael decided he wanted to run on the Mall and by the monuments so he went ahead of the girls and I, and we met up at the WWII memorial.




The monuments.  If you can visit them and not be proud and thankful to be an American, then you and I simply cannot be friends.


We ended our day at Greenbelt National Park.  A campground just inside the Beltway of DC (about 13 miles north of the city).  We arrived at dusk and only saw a little bit of the park but what we saw was pretty. There seem to be a TON of deer in here as well.  The internet is kind of spotty and we are dry camping for 3 nights so don't be alarmed if the blog goes silent for a few days.







1 comment:

dawn crisler said...

I'm having fun listening in and reliving our trip by following yours! I really hope this gov't shut down thing doesn't mess y'all up. We changed our Yosemite-in-Sep plan (too many wildfires and too far away) to a Utah nat'l park trip in Oct. We are going with friends and leaving this Fri! I'm a little mad at the gov't right now. I can picture our campsite in Greenbelt. I hope you have enjoyed it! Glad you got to see DC before all this set in. Can't you do something about all this since you are right there??? ;) Enjoy every minute!