Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Day 6—the day that wore me out too much to blog!

Sorry this is ‘behind schedule’—I was so tired last night that I just couldn’t face the computer (and that’s saying something for me!!) Yesterday was an extremely full day. We drove from Lander, WY to Jackson, WY and then back up to Grand Teton National Park. A short day by our previous driving standards (only 160 miles) but many stops along the way made for a busy, long day!

Here’s a recap of our day in pictures:

Riding the “Jackalope” in Dubois, WY

Trip 249 Trip 251

At a 9000+ foot mountain pass, we found a LOT of snow—yes, it really was up to his knees! Trip 263

Michael had a great idea—trash bags as substitute sleds!

Trip 269Trip 284

And the requisite plane flying picture!

Trip 281Trip 264Trip 301

Our first view of the Grand Teton Mountains—a little cloudy but still beautiful.

Trip 313

We went into Jackson for lunch and a little window shopping.

Trip 319 The famous Elk horn arches on the square in Jackson.

Trip 324

Pawpaw treated us to a ride in a stagecoach around Jackson.

Trip 326 And our ‘cowgirl’ got to ride shotgun!

Trip 327Back to Grand Teton National Park—the clouds had lifted and we could see the whole mountain range. Breathtaking.

Trip 342 Trip 345We took a boat ride across Jenny Lake and then did a 1.2 mile roundtrip hike to Hidden Falls. Trip 350 Trip 362 Trip 369

We thought this little guy was a woodchuck—turns out he’s a marmut (but related to woodchucks)—he was not at all afraid of us!

Trip 386

The reward for the hike:

Trip 388Trip 391 We ended the evening with a ranger talk around the campfire. It was a very busy but fun day!

5 comments:

Heather said...

I love this! The snow is fascinating … my kind of snow that you can sled on in shorts :)

Love all your pix and the Tetons truly are breathtaking. Get some rest so you can do some more fun stuff and post pictures of it tomorrow :)

Kate said...

We have the same picture (of us) under the elk horn arch, but there was snow behind us, not grass!

I meant to tell you to try the little burger place right there on the "square". We were there over 4 years ago and had to wait for a bar stool but it was the best greasy food ever!

Thomas R. Feller, Jr. said...

Jackson Hole is an absolute blast - I have a picture of the elk horn arch, too! The drive along the highway that parallels the Tetons is gorgeous - when I was there, though, I was doing it on bike. I probably shouldn't tell you this, but in the middle of the ride a HUGE thunderstorm came up, so four of us had to find shelter. We found some kind of ranger house or something and, well, let's just say we let ourselves in until the storm passed and then got as soon as it was over (but not after we had enjoyed the ping-pong tables and had a bite to eat and a drink...)

GTNP is also where I had a chipmunk climb into my pants pocket to get a bag of trail mix (no lie - I've got a picture somewhere - freaked the heck out of me!), got charged by a moose (but the picture was worth it), and saw my first wild black bear cub. One of the most magnificent places I've ever been!

Melissa said...

It looks like you guys are having an amazing time! I love the picture of the waterfall! I bet it made the hike worth it to have seen something that beautiful!

Sara said...

Beautiful pics! The snow is so deep!! In the event that you run into more friendly marmuts....they like ice cream. ;)