After 1750 miles in 5 days, we have all pretty much lost track of time! Not to mention we keep changing time zones and are now 3 hours behind 'normal time'! I think we are all looking forward to Wednesday-- still three (!!) days from today when we will actually stay in one place for more than 15 hours! Despite being a bit road-weary, we are still having fun and totally enjoying the sites.
(This picture is especially for you, Caleb!!)


We entered Arizona at something like 6 am (local time) so the vistor's center was not even open yet! We did the obligatory pictures and then headed to the Petrified Forest/Painted Desert National Park. This was our first National Park of the trip and I had picked this stop mostly so that we could get a lifetime National Park Pass for PawPaw (which coincidentally also gets his entire vehicle in for free—woohoo! You knew we’d find SOMETHING to get for free on this trip, didn’t you??!!) Anyhow, I had orignially anticipated that this would be a quick stop/leg stretcher—but we stayed here almost 3 hours! The Painted Desert was also apparently a stop on Historic Route 66 and we actually found a site in the park that you can see the old telephone poles that marked the highway.
(This picture is especially for you, Caleb!!)The petrified trees were also amazing—not so much that they exist but how many of them there are. We saw one area called the Crystal Forest that was just acres and acres of fossilized trees. We also made friends with a HUGE raven (Mrs. Pearce, you would have been proud of our attempts to imitate his call!). After a quick souvenir purchase of our own petrified tree/rocks as well as National Park passports for the girls (that they can get stamped at every NP we visit—way cool!), we were back on the road again.
The Grand Canyon is... well... grand! I know... not very original... but true. Words simply cannot do it justice. We oohhed and aahhed for well over an hour at the rim before taking the park shuttle & walking back to our campground where we grilled out steaks for dinner. Everyone is in bed now at 8:30 (which I guess still seems like 11:30 to them?). I think I am having the easiest time adjusting but that's probably because I'm a night owl anyhow...

Goodnight from one of the seven wonders of the world...
5 comments:
You're out WEST....Can you believe it?!? Sounds like yesterday was a fun tourism day. I'm so glad you enjoyed your time at the Grand Canyon. Caleb was very impressed with the Route 66 picture (and by the fact that it said C-A-L-E-B on your blog...."hey, that's my name!") California....here you come. Have a good day!
hi Emma. How is your trip?
Love, Haylee
Hi Abbie,
Are you having a great trip?
Your pictures are great.
Did you like the Grand Canyon?
Hannah
Well, I'm caught up now and WOW I can't believe all that ya"ll have done so far. Michael could be a "long hauler" but you need a handle. What wonder memories your making together. Wendy you need to write a book you're doing a GREAT job documenting all the FUN. Be safe and I'll try to do this on a daily basis so I don't get so behind on your adventures...Jody
So, is the Petrified Forest full of a bunch of frightened trees??? What an adventure you guys are on. How is the boredom quotient when en route? I never found out, Wendy, whether you conceded to the DVD player or not...
I can't wait to hear your imitation of a raven when you get back.
Happy Trails to you all...
Post a Comment